Extension for Magento by Anowave
Google Analytics 4 for Magento 2 based on Google Tag Manager. Provides a full support for the Google Analytics 4 specification and allows for advanced Enhanced Ecommerce tracking for Magento 2 via the visionary GA4. The new Analytics adds AI-powered insights, tracks users across devices and provides more granular data controls.
Magento 2 Google Analytics 4 (GA4 based on Google Tag Manager) is an extension that works on top of our famous Magento 2 Google Tag Manager Enhanced Ecommerce (UA) Tracking extension. It modifies the dataLayer object so it can meet the new Google Analytics 4 specifications. The module implements all Google Analytics 4 (GA4) ecommerce features using Google Tag Manager. Being based on our GTM module, it provides a full range of additional features such as AdWords Dynamic Remarketing, AdWords Conversion Tracking, Social Network interaction tracking, Facebook Custom Audiences Pixel, Custom Dimensions, Google Customer Reviews, User ID data acquisition and User Timings Tracking.
This module cannot work as standalone module, it works on top of our Magento 2 Google Tag Manager Enhanced Ecommerce (UA) Tracking extension. This allows you to not only have GA4 but also the entire world of Enhanced Ecommerce tracking, AdWords Dynamic Remarketing, Facebook Pixel tracking etc. All of them managed by a single extension.
Our products come with a premium support. To report a bug, use our Premium Help Desk available in your account at Anowave.
We had a few issues with the API configuration mainly due to some wierd quota limitation by Google themselves but other than that with this extension we were able to switch to GA4 with ease. I'd like to thank the support team for all they did for us and helping us with the configuration. Spot on!
Yes, I recommend this product
Works as described. It kept all the settings we had previously configured in the UA module which is awesome. Had to update the main module to latest version but that's understandable. Good work!
Yes, I recommend this product
This extension can be installed in a few minutes, by going through the following steps:
Enhanced Ecommerce tracking is done by sending enhanced measurement events via the so called Google Analytics 4 Event tag. We have outlined some of the essential events supported by the module which are sufficient for proper Enhanced Ecommerce tracking.
Measures promotion view
Measures click on a promotion
Measures product/item list views/impressions
Measures product click (from categories)
Measures product detail views
Measures click on "Add to Cart" button
Measures click on "Add to Wishlist" button
Measures click on "Remove from cart" button
Measures cart view
Measures checkout start
Measures selected shipping method
Measures selected payment method
Measures transactions on success page
Measures refunds (not implemented yet)
The Google Analytics: GA4 Configuration tag initializes Google Analytics for your Google Analytics 4 property on a particular page. It handles behavior such as setting of Google Analytics cookies, sending automatic and enhanced measurement events, and declaration of common settings. In effect this is the tag that does 90% of the work and installs Google Analytics 4 on the site.
The built-in API will create this tag for you automatically
Anowave_Ec4 module works on top of our Anowave_Ec module, it's designed to modify the dataLayer object as per GA4 specification (https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/ecommerce-ga4)
1. A new field called Measurement ID appears in Google Tag Manager API configiration section. This is obtained from Google Analytics 4 and it's in the following format: G-XXXXXXXXXX
2. A 3 new checkboxes appear that allow you to:
a) Create GA4 variables
b) Create GA4 triggers
c) Create GA4 tags (creates also the Google Analytics 4 configuration tag)
3. Google Analytics 4 Configuration tag
The Google Analytics: GA4 Configuration tag initializes Google Analytics for your Google Analytics 4 property on a particular page. It handles behavior such as setting of Google Analytics cookies, sending automatic and enhanced measurement events, and declaration of common settings. This is in effect what tracks Pageviews and installs Google Anlaytics 4 on your site
4. dataLayer modifications
dataLayer object gets modified as per GA4 specification (https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/ecommerce-ga4)
5. To our understanding, it's better to create a new empty container and use the API to configure it for GA4 by clicking only the GA4 checkboxes from our API, this will create the GA4 variables,triggers and tags including the Google Analytics 4 Configuration tag. Having the container inflated with the old tags is not a mistake but they won't fire or if some of them fires it could duplicate and/or corrupt data.
6. There are certain limitations of GA4 (due to being in beta mode probably) to be aware of:
a) Checkout can no longer be tracked in terms of checkout steps. There are a few events dispatched:
b) Product list attribution no longer works, it's simply not available yet in GA4
c) There are no more product-scoped dimensions.
Configuration is really simple but it will require some pre-config steps. In order to track stuff properly, you have to have a GTM container configured with the required tags/triggers and variables. You can do this configuration really easy using the built-in API. It requires no technical expertise whatsoever.
We have outlines a few configuration steps below required for module to work properly:
1. Install the module
2. Enter a license key in Stores -> Configuration -> Anowave Extensions -> Google Tag Manager GA4 and set Enable to "Yes"
3. Go to Stores -> Configuration -> Anowave Extensions -> Google Tag Manager and expand the Google Tag Manager API section
4. Enter your Account ID and click Sign in
5. Once singed in, pick the Container ID which you want to configure. It is recommended to configure an empty/new container to avoid messing with UA tags
6. Enter your Measurement ID
7. Click ONLY GA4 related checkboxes e.g. Create variables (GA4)/Create triggers (GA4)/Create tags (GA4). Make sure not to click the first 3 checkboxes because they will create also standard UA tags in your container
8. Click "Save config" (note that saving could take a while so be patient)
If you like this product, share it with your friends
Anowave is an extension developer for Magento 1.x and Magento 2.x platforms. We provide a wide range of premium extensions for our in-house and public clients. The extensions that we offer extend the capabilities of Magento and provide a bespoke functionality. They also fill some missing gaps in the functionality provided by the base platform and help customers in chosing Magento as prefered ecommerce platform.
The extensions that we offer are part of our full range Magento service which includes also a Premium Helpdesk where customers get to speak with actual software engineers and get their issues resolved without hussle. Premium labeled modules also include free installation, confiuration, testing etc.